Skip to main content

PROMISED NEVERLAND: EPISODE 1 REVIEW


The Promised Neverland Episode 1: Pain of Cuteness

When I saw the first episode of The Promised Neverland was available for viewing, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I still had couple of days, but the anime gods had forsaken my belief. For the good reason this time.

CloverWorks, fresh out of last season’s viral hit “Rascal does not dream of Bunny girl Senpai” show that they have not taken a step back in their potential to spit out this gripping story with amazing visuals.

ANIMATION: If you asked me last season what was the difference between ColverWorks and A1 Pictures, I could have fumbled with my thoughts. But now I have a vague reason justified enough to shut up the masses. CW (it stands for CloverWorks, not Cartoon Network) has found a habit of animating something as basic as possible and wrapping up their products with candy coated paper. When I started watching the episode, I was very impressed by the animation. It had the same pop factor as “Bunny Girl Senpai”, but it was vibrant enough to justify the cuteness of the kids who were on the display.

The most impressive part was the use of blurs throughout the episode. It was the first thing which you see when you start the episode. The change of focus from character to character was also very well done. It would be a very strong weapon in the coming time due to the excess population in Green Fields house. Bright, unique characters against beautiful backgrounds was tasty to eyebuds.
The use of 3D was used properly, which I hope it continues throughout. The camera following Norman and Emma against the brick wall and truck was an absolute treat for eyes. So was Norman’s march towards the truck while Emma was startled.

MUSIC: Nothing was standout in the music department except the OP. UVERworld graced the crowds once again after My Hero Academia. And Co Shu Nie is appointed on ED duty. Whereas OP is a banger with delicious animation and catchy music, ED would probably grow on me slowly. The animation of ED does compliment the track backing it. I’ll honestly take anything static in place of powerpoint collage of screenshots that a dime a dozen shows do.

STORY: I have read the manga until Volume 4, with 5,6,7 coming soon. In short, I know what was going to happen. Keeping that in mind, I think this adaptation was very well paced. The surprise hit hard (as it should), because two-thirds of this episode was on the back burner. It was necessary to have a show start, but it will wear you out if you don’t have patience. As an episode, it was a standout episode to kick off this series.

VOICE ACTING: I thought the voice acting was relatively well executed except two characters. Ray and Isabella suffer from similar problem, but for different reasons.

Ray sounds too much like a girl with soar throat. Or a tomboy girl.

Isabella sounds a lot older than she actually is. She sounds like someone in late-30s or early-40s, and that did bring me out of the experience.

It was almost the case with two characters in black (at the gate). I thought their voices would be much more gritty. But it sounded like they were stock characters in the background of Re:Zero’s market. Their candid conversation sounds better in one’s head while reading manga.

CONCLUSION: at the end, PLEASE PICK UP THIS ANIME THIS SEASON. if you don’t plan to, pick up the manga. It has potential dripping out of it through every crevice it has. It is the one youtubers would be making a video this season. SO GO AHEAD AND ENJOY AN EPISODE OF PROMISED NEVERLAND

ART: 9/10

MUSIC: 7/10

Voice acting: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b