Skip to main content

Overlord: An Over bloated Overexposed heap of Squandered Potential

Welcome to Animeland. On the right you’d see fantasy, slice of life, comedy and action. On the left you can see adventure, musical, romance & drama. Below your feet rests echhi and harem. And on the throne sits Isekai.
Yes, today I’ll be talking about Overlord, the anime equivalent to ‘The frying pan is full, but its full of gasoline, so get ready for a blast.’ Its an isekai anime by MadHouse, the dying grandfather of anime studios. The first season aired in 2015, followed by a second & third season in 2018. Now that those facts are out of the way, Let me state my business here: I am here to answer why Overlord anime is terrible, run of the mil isekai trash with an interesting hook, and nothing more. Please note that this is not a review, but an opinion piece. I will be heavily criticizing it for each aspect this show rubs me the wrong way. ALSO, this is an anime 'opinion piece'. So take those light novels back to the library because you’re too broke to buy them just like me.
PROBLEM 1: THE CHARACTERS
Don’t get me wrong, the anime for the most past is mediocre at best. When I started watching the first season I was fascinated with myriad of various characters. Floor Guardians like Demiurge and Shalltear, Killer Maidens like Yuri Alpha & Narberal Gamma, and other less explored characters like Pandora’s Actor & Gazef kept the experience fresh. But for every likeable character, there was a bland one-shot one with monotone inspirations behind them. Characters like Albedo[Thirsty for Ainz], Cocytus[Can’t stop failing in life] and Brain[Get better parents who can give you a better name] have singular characteristics to them, making them predictable. Any action taken by Albedo will be for Ainz’s sake. SO? What reason do I have to invest myself in her meaningless adventure to screw Ainz? None, I tell you. However, her feud with Shalltear was kinda bearable for two minutes.
I will state once again. I like morally ambiguous & complex characters. You don’t have to fill every little blank in a character’s personalities. Keep some room for imagination, and it would run wonders. That is done wonderfully with Ainz, but more often than not he is either absent, being vague, coming up with simplest of strategies & riding the coattails of Demiuge.
And can i say that every supporting character is just unable to carry an arc? Exhibit 1: Cocytus. That lizardmen arc was nice for two reasons, the lake war that didnt include Cocytus, and lizard sex. I've seen some stuff people, and so have you. Exhibit 2: Sebas. Never in a million years I thought that Sebas would be part of one of the worst written arc in an anime. it was nice when Ainz was on screen, and pretty much borefest the rest of the time. the training arc and development of political BS didn't help either. And the fight between Demiurge and Momon can die in fiery pits of hell.
PROBLEM 2: THE STORY
I truly believe that not all of the problems that I have with anime come from light novels. There are some aspects that are always lost in translation, and I truly think that this anime series is a victim of that. reading light novels and watching anime are vastly different mediums to gain the same information. But the characters are not talking, the music is not playing, and the reader’s focus is solely on the pages of the book. That gives enough chances for the reader to paint his own picture. But that effect is lost in anime, and you have no choice but to sit through a terrible second season, and almost flushed out third.
BUT, BUT, But, even I can't defend the core structure of the story. It’s a barebone adventure anime where the protagonist is overpowered. And that wont be a problem if there were not SO MANY GOD DAMN CHARACTERS. I mean, we know Ainz is strong. But when that fact is reinforced and hit on our heads again and again, it becomes boring. Squeezing Clementine in your arms to break her bones and killing the soul out of her: COOL. Killing various adventurers who come in your guild: RUTHLESS. Killing millions of people by terribly CGI’d four faced rabies infested dogs: STUPID. You’re not raising the stakes. You're raising the level of edge. You’re also testing the level of BS your fans can take. Maybe it is better explained in novels. But we’re not talking about novels, so that discussion has nothing to do with it.
PROBLEM 3: The MUSIC.
This will be easy: Nothing stands out in this almost 40-episode series. Of note is the opening songs as well as ending songs, out of those, LLL by Myth&Droid is disposable for me. I love Myth&Droid, but you can take those autotunes vocals with you when you go out of the front door. My favorite ED is ‘Hydra’ by the same band, which features stills of female cast of the show. It is much dreamier and more likeable than LLL. The third ED ‘Silent Solitude’ by OxT is also very likeable. It being a slow rock ballad with multi layered visuals was a very interesting experience.
The business of OPs was also easy. OP 1 ‘Clattanoia’ wins by default for being an absolute banger. It opened the first season with an orgasmic sound that never let me skip it. OP2 ‘Go Cry Go’ seemed like a rehash of its much more pleasing predecessor. Thus it was never able to make its mark on my ears. OP 3 ’Voracity’ was a very welcome change and I embraced it like a mother hugs her son.
Anything else sounded generic, and not even interesting enough for me to take note of.
PROBLEM 4: THE STUDIO
I have always thought of MadHouse being an oldhead in the anime atmosphere. It is transparent that the ace that they were back in the day is not present today. Their latest aces have been One Punch Man and A Place further than the Universe. Other buzzworthy anime series were NGNL and ACCA 13. But are you really watching Mahouka, Btooom, Death Parade and OreMonogatari today? Sure, you agree that those are good shows, as do I, but I can say that the studio is in a rut, which was clear when season 3 of Overlord aired mere 3 months after season 2 as an attempt of a cash grab.
The studio didn’t have enough funding, which was apparent when you look at the end result. We were in no rush to get more overlord too. So, what was the goal to release a half ass adaptation, you tell me. S2 didn’t leave a pleasant taste in my mouth, and S3 did nothing to improve the decline of Overlord. Maybe Madhouse is functioning on Trigger’s production plan. ‘RELEASE 1-2 SHOWS A YEAR, BLOW EVERYONE’S MINDS!’ That strategy has played in Trigger’s favor every time. Kill la Kill(2013), Luluco (2014), Kiznaiver (2016), Little Witch Academia(2017), Franxx & Gridman (2018). I have heard of every Trigger production except one. This is because of their buzzworthy shows and exceptional talent of staff. MadHouse is here functioning on the Trigger’s Plan while having a J.C. Staff standard quality.
The unique personality that MadHouse inhabited went to MAPPA, which is made up of former MadHouse Staff. Do you know who is producing the most famous shows of the time? Its MAPPA. Kakegurui, Dororo, Banana Fish & Zombieland Saga are some of their most recent properties which went viral on anime forums. Whereas MadHouse hit its high with One Punch Man in 2015 & A Place Further than the Universe in 2018.
Anything else didn’t scratch the surface of my anime following. That says something about the current landscape of anime where newer cats like CloverWorks, White Fox, Trigger and KyoAni are outperforming you. Again, I agree the inhouse policies of all companies can be different, but not every studio produces original content (TRIGGER) or fully licenses their properties’ source material (KyoAni). It just means that you’re an old fish in a newer pond.
SOLUTION: I am in no way in position to instruct a million yen company to change their ways, but I can give my suggestion, and I will. The simplest thing is to put the future plans with Overlord on hold. License viral properties that are floating in the air. DeadTube, Chainsaw Man, MachiMaho can be your action series. Make OVAs from My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, Beauty and the Beast Girl & Go for it, Nakamura for a change. Get some writers, and make an original series. One game changing property is all you need to spin it around. And don’t remove MYTH&DROID OR OxT FROM OVERLORD, EVER!
SEASON 1: 7/10
SEASON 2: 4.4/10
SEASON 3: 5.5/10
ANIMATION: 6.5/10
STORY: 6/10
RECOMMENDATION: WATCH SEASON 1, READ THE LIGHT NOVELS FROM THEN ON. AINZ vs CLEMENTINE IS A TREAT, AND PANDORA'S ACTOR BRINGS JOY TO MY FACE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b