Skip to main content

Gully Boy: A Love Letter to the Streets of Rap

Being a Bollywood fan, I know what the clichés are. Specifically, those that are in the romance/drama genre. Therefore, it is always a breath of fresh air when some individuals can open their horizons and make something which is almost unprecedented. Those individuals in this scenario would be Zoya Akhtar amongst others. Why I only name her is because I have found myself to enjoy particular projects that she concorts. Movies like Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and Dil Dhadakne Do have given her a good grasp of developing something familiar yet unique. What do I mean by that? The movie ‘Gully Boy’, once I rip it to shreds, would explain it.
For a brief summary of movie, Murad aka Ranveer Singh aka Daddy Sass is a wannabee rapper with Ray Rice as his father and Skyler White as his mother. If you don’t get those references, bruh, get on the internet. His girlfriend Safeena is played by Student of The Year and the only Bhatt I can bear. She is somewhat crazy and overprotective, but Murad being a masochist, enjoys that. Jokes apart, he gets in contact with another underground rapper MC Aslan. They hit it off, build a fan base, get into domestic violent situations because Ray Rice brings another ‘punch me’ doll, and the journey continues. The final goal of movie is for to find an opening act for Mr. IllMatic himself, and provides the first chance for Gully Murad to prove himself.

Now if you can’t tell, this is my rendition of the movie, but you can draw your own message. But to me, lets see what it made so special, or if I feel some type of way.

ZE POZITIBEZ

I have been a fan of rap for more than eight years. So, I was very aware and confident that this movie won’t be able to surprise me. And for the most part, I was right. But I still played into its hands because that was the only way I could have some fun with it. What I would call it is the ‘SHONEN ANIME PRINCIPLE.’ You know what you are going to get, but that is the very reason you watch it. It was predictable and was full of ups and downs, just like the biggest ‘coming from rags to riches’ rap movie ‘8 MILE.’ ALSO, I will be peppering a little bit of ‘BODIED’ her and there. If you don’t know what that is, it is a 2018 movie about battle rap. Plus, its produced by Eminem, so why not.
The story’s execution was nothing interesting. it was another generic coming of age movie. Which also meant that every other character felt really special. You have to understand that Ranveer and Alia are the same Bollywood drama protagonists that you have seen. However, Murad’s tumulus relation with Moeen, His respect for Sher, and unbalanced heart that does swing for Sky made it very refreshing to watch. Speaking of Sky, can we just appreciate how amazing Kalki Koechlin was in the movie. She played the role of spunky college student studying music, albeit having a hairstyle of a 35 years old alcoholic. The way how Safeena wears her heart on her sleeve, and then uses that sleeve to swing punches was also miles away from what I expected. The drama in Murad’s household was nothing special, but the wavering opinion of who was more asshole-ish kept it fresh throughout the movie.
Another point I wanted to touch on is the appealing representation of the surrounding as well as environment that these characters inhabit. It really brings the dirty aspects to life and put them on forefront. It doesn’t glorify it but plays it to its own benefit and like a pillar, builds upon itself. That aspect of living in slums, with unwanted catastrophe right by the next corner, really gripped and made the characters believable.

And I don’t need to push the fact that this is a musical film, which means that the music is really good. To the background soundtrack really catching you by surprise to the addition of A$AP Rocky’s ‘EVERYDAY’ as the mode of contrast to Murad’s reality, was pleasant to say the least. I mean, flipping the cliché through the simplest of means do play out in a grandiose manner.
But that is all forks, for all the positives. And if you don’t know, being a reviewer and a prick really makes up my personality. So, let me sharpen my axe so that I can slice the movie in a clean, understandable manner.

ZE NEGATIBES

To say that this movie is inspired from Eminem’s 8 Mile would be an understatement. I think the writers went with the 2002 classic as their only reference point, and even going so far to emulate certain parts. Let me guide you through the “8 Mile- Gully Boy Cheat Sheet.”

EXHIBIT A: Murad’s first battle rap. His opponent steals the classic “B-Rabbit vs Papa Doc” opener. I will agree that the following verse I much better, but the similarities were too uncanny for me to pass up. For the same verse, the inspiration clearly comes from battle rap scene. And whatever battle rap is represented in Gully Boy is decent but is definitely is toned down. If you have never experienced an English rap battle, let me tell you one thing: Real rap battles are very ruthless. Case in point, DIZASTER vs. IRON SOLOMON, one of my favorite rap battles. It may not be digestible by the newcomers and people who are easily triggered, but that is the whole point of rap, bro.

Going back to the rap battle in Gully boy, it is a clear copy to B-Rabbit’s choke at the starting of 8-Mile. I don’t have much to say at this point. It was just insulting and boring how it was executed.

EXHIBIT B: I am reaching to get this point across, and I can totally put it in the ‘SIMPLE WRITING, NO CREATIVITY’ box, but Murad’s job as driver has somewhat similar inspiration as to B-Rabbit’s industrial job. Both of them are put off and let down by society and are forced to work at a job they both hate. At the end, they prevail and find success in their hobby.
If we step back a little from Gully Boy jerking off 8 Mile, we can see the flimsy layer of drama that isn’t the best part of the movie. Anything that doesn’t include Vijay Raaz comes off repetitive, coarse, and fundamental. But that is just me!

FINAL THOUGHTS: Gully Boy was a very interesting part in the saga of Bollywood cinema. I hope it can develop into something special. Ranveer Singh comes back with another banger acting. I swear, this guy is like water, able to adapt into any kind of role with ease. Alia Bhatt does justice to her role as spunky, overpowered youth. Vijay Raaz slaps (literally), Vijay Verma impresses, Siddharth Chaturvedi is my love, and Kalki Koechlin is bae 4eva.

Now, I said BODIED would be here, and that aspect comes in very late in the movie. The battles to open for Nas has some brutality (Which should have been throughout), but the whole package was fun. It definitely was the one step in the interesting direction.

RECOMMENDATION: A MUST Watch.

FLAWS: Not enough Nas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b