Skip to main content

Manga Review: She and Her Cat by Makoto Shinkai & Tsubasa Yamaguchi

Have you ever woken up in the morning and peeped outside of the window, where you saw a white fluffy cloud in the air going about its business? That is what it feels reading Makoto Shinkai and Tsubasa Yamaguchi’s “She and her Cat.”

S&HC is a one-shot manga originally produced by the famed director of ‘Your Name Jeff’ & ‘Garden of Convoluted Puzzles’. He made it in 1999, and the manga was written in 2016. Also, for my artistic critique I’d only focus on the manga, because that is all that I have consumed of this piece.

To preface, S&HC is a relation commentary between a girl and a romantically attracted cat, Chobi. It spans over one year, i.e. four seasons of the year, and deals with the mental toll our protagonist takes when she sees others doing well in their lives while her gratification comes from playing with her pussy (Literal Cat you degenerates). This summary is worse than one on WikiPedia, but I don’t want to spoil all the little percentage of fun this story has.

Anyway, lets rip this book to shreds.

ZE POZITIBEZ

Makoto Shinkai is known for two things: His art, and an asteroid that is named after him (ITS TRUE). Over the time he has honed his skill to become a prolific director and seeing where he came from was a nice throwback. The first steps he took as a storyteller remain strong points of reference to this day and are present in his more recent movies. In short, the story is short, sweet, and is loosely packed, enough for the reader to cram himself/ herself into the story.

The decision of narrating the whole thing from cat’s perspective was also a good decision. It gives a break from conventional storytelling and saves us from another coffeeshop conversation piece. Instead it focuses on Chobi’s environment, and that is the apartment the girl lives in. He knows the mannerisms of hers, when he’d have his food, and his admiration when she smiles, bathes, ties her hair in a ponytail, et cetera. It comes off not as a lover, which Shinkai wanted, but as a father, caring for his daughter.

The size of the book is of particular interest to me, because it is only 7 X 5 X 0.46 inches, which is smaller and thinner than conventional shounen manga I am a fan of. Due to this reason, the whole world of the book seems just out of reach, and yet still in the palms of your hand. You want a cat as caring as Chobi. You want to have a silent admirer that can shower you with love and care, even if it doesn’t understand itself. But you can also push it away and read the whole thing from a distance when sad and loneliness of HER strikes. Its one book you can have both ways with and not be ashamed of.

OH, did you notice, you sly fox, that the positives I talked about are mostly about story and no mention of art? Well, because it would be discussed in the next section.

ZE NEGATIBEZ

Makoto shinkai can draw a straight line on the paper, and it would still look pretty. However, Tsubasa Yamaguchi’s art is completely different. On the front of the book, when I see Makoto’s name, I want it to be as sparkly, shiny and beautiful as his motion picture works. However, Yamaguchi’s art can’t do justice to his story.

Let me shed light on one simple fact, the simpler the story, the harder the interpretation. If the story has holes that needs to be filled by the reader, you want impressive art to immerse the reader. And I agree, some pages completely reflect Her’s pain and struggles, they do. It’s the more pleasant, ‘slice of life-y’ parts of the book where I have my problems.

The art, at some place, is generically simple. simple curved lines to make the outline of the face? This isn’t it chief. The beauty of human body and cuteness of the cat is definitely aplenty for you to enjoy. But when the agitated and tense moments pass of as janky and uninteresting, I slip into GoodNight PunPun heaven for rehabilitation. I had the same problems when I read “ROSE GUNS DAYS”. Bloody dialogue bubbles on simple white plain blank blocks of the manga. Kill Me.

Also, as a 5-minute OVA or a 4-episode anime, the story can work. Because numerous people control the pacing of the show. But when a manga with low count of dialogue like this is in my palms, I can’t help but speed through it. I can enjoy the backgrounds only that much. This made it a really short and pleasant read, but either the art was a hindrance, or I am an ignorant bastard.

Don’t get me wrong, Yamaguchi’s art in “Blue Period” is colorful and expressive. But here, I can only appreciate it from afar, but I won’t pay to look at it. Even if I already have paid for the book, but that is not the point...

FINALLY, She and her Cat was a pleasant ride. But I was better off thinking Chobi love was more platonic or respectful rather than romantic, because now I’m thinking of possible doujinshi and you cant stop me. Pick up the manga, it’d be worth your time. And it being a quick read, you’d have enough time to read “Voices of a Distant Star" A second time!

STORY: 7.5/10

ART: 6/10

COMMENTS: Not enough cleavage.

RECOMMENDATION: Buy It.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b