Skip to main content

WHY 'DONKEY' SCENE IN DEVILMAN CRYBABY IS GENIUS: ANIME ESSAY [1]


WHY DVLMN:CRBBY’S ‘DONKEY’ SCENE IS A STROKE OF GENIUS       by @rishabh_SSW
Let’s start this essay by stating the facts. DEVILMAN Crybaby is an enigma, at least on the first look. It is one of those anime shows which I would rather not watch again from start to finish. I would prefer to watch it in moments, or pieces. I will just start one episode and start watching it. It does not hurt you because you know the context already. Some standout moments make this ‘Jumping-Skipping-watching’ possible. Like the nudity and gore, which I am proud of Masaki Yuasa for. As for why I do this, its because I don’t want to deal with the emotional tragedy underlying the whole show.
But there is also one more thing underlying all the individuals. And that should be obvious by taking the first look at the first episode. And that’s conflict. Conflict amongst humans, conflict between ideals which goes off the rails and becomes conflict between humans and demons. [You should not be reading this anymore if you have not watched this show, (Which you totally should!)].
Now, getting to the meat of the essay, there was one scene in Episode 2, in the start of third quarter, famous for the ‘Donkey’s Bray’ also famous as a donkey scene. It is a masturbation scene involving the character of Miko, who gets hot and bothered by thinking of updated Akira Fudo. She is on her study table, when her mind goes in a different direction, which I agree could happen to anyone. Teenage minds, fantasizing about hot individuals! [Can you tell I am getting old?]
Now, I will explain, why the Donkey Scene is Pure Genius.
Teenage girls getting sexualized. That is not a big deal in Anime and manga. Hell, Anime/Manga with Echhi tag thrives on this factor. If people do not go out and take unsavory actions against budding ladies, or anyone for that fact, I am all in for anyone who want to suppress their dirty desires. There is a clear line in fantasy and crime, which may seem like two different ballparks, but the former inspires the latter.
Now, how does it play out? Well, the shot starts with Miko sitting at her study table, completely immersed in studying. Everything is pink around her, representing her innocence. She has lot of cute pictures in the background, and she is still in her school uniform, representing her diligence. We can also see everything is cleanly sorted out, with lots of books having numerous volumes. At first, I thought it was manga, but she has bookmarked some of them, which forces me to think it is reference books. Suddenly, a heavy monotone drops and Akira’s bulge flashes in Miko’s mind. She stops writing and stares blankly at the paper. The same monotone drop happens and this time Akira’s ripped body stretching comes into her mind. She closes her legs to control her desires. We know she is trying hard because the cloth of her skirt crumples between her legs. Just a moment later, she gives in to temptation, and puts her hand between her legs. So far, the scene is following the typical sex scene. However, we have not seen in any conventional anime girl masturbating. Most of the shows like to throw themselves around towards protagonist, but this is different but natural way to achieve satisfaction.
Miko doesn’t just put her hand on her crotch, but she presses hard against it. Masaaki Yuasa, I salute you again to show the natural human twitching of that moment.
In the next scene, the background music called ‘Who Is She’ start playing, it’s a haunting tune which sets the dark mood of the scene. She sees Koji looking at her while he lowers the window of his car. Then we see a flashback of Miko modelling for Koji. Now this is a very interesting moment for me. Miko, during the jump cuts, goes from modelling sexily, to having sex with Koji. It is clearly implemented when her frontal shot zooms to Koji clicking pictures of her butt and then groping her. What interests me comes later.
Miko lays on her bed and starts masturbating. All the buildup goes to waste, when Miko’s moans are replaced by donkey’s brays. All the mood is killed by it. But, that WAS the point.
Anyway, Miko continues to masturbate while wearing her uniform. Thinking about Akira triggered the moment she had with Koji, which is how Humans work. This might also be Miko’s desire to have sex with Akira. As I said, conflict. She did what she liked, but now she wants to do with someone she likes.
Anyway, back on the track. We see a tracking shot take place, pushing Miko out of the picture, but her “moans” are still loud and clear. The camera pans across the complex she lives in, different parts of the residence are shown, while Miko’s moans serve as background. This represents her desire to be number one and take her title back as “Miki” from Miki Makimura. She wants to be the focus, but she can only represent that in her true form. One is true to themselves when they are either confident or vulnerable. In this moment, Miko has nothing to hide, as she is in her own room. When she becomes a Devilman, she becomes powerful and confident, which again results in her being true to herself.
Ending the scene, Butterfly, one of the street rappers hears her moans and take a pause from walking.
I think the title of the episode “One hand is enough” plays along with it. In the beginning of the episode we see Akira knocking all the rappers in the river, uttering the title phrase. In the middle of the episode, we see him dreaming of his parents leaving him, while he stretches his hand to stop them. In the last example, we see Miko pleasing herself with one hand, while she plays with her breast with another. Two kinds of stimulus, both equally required.
Masaaki Yuasa made a sexy scene, which we almost never see, and made it borderline laughable. It may be a skippable material for most people, but for me, it was a stroke of genius.
I know how I described the whole scene, I might have expanded on it too much, but that is how I could break it down. I should also mention that I have only seen this iteration of Devilman franchise, so please don’t hurt me if you think I misrepresented any past form of Devilman Media.

Anyways, if you liked this Anime Essay, Please let me know on twitter @rishabh_SSW and let me know if you would like me to do more of these Anime Essays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b