Skip to main content

FALL 2K18 ED TRINITY: ANIME ESSAY


The ED Trinity For Fall 2K18

Fall of this year has been very kind. We were provided with smooth hearbreakers and feels shows like Bunny Girl Senpai and big titans like Jojo Golden Wind (p.s. I am not caught up with JoJo, so don’t crucify me). We have 40+ shows, and by my luck, I have picked up 7. So, my holy trinity of EDs would be chosen amongst them. Please let me know how much of a pleb I am at the end of my essay.

NOTE: I WILL INCLUDE ONE ED NOT FROM THIS SEASON, SIMPLY BECAUSE I WAS CAUGHT UP WATCHING SOMETHING ELSE. SO BASICALLY, IT’S A LIST OF 2 EDS FROM FALL 2K18, AND THE THIRD PICK COULD BE ANYTHING FROM ANY YEAR.

The shows I picked for Fall 2K18

That Time I got Reincarnated as a slime

Zombieland Saga

Goblin Slayer

Bunny Girl Senpai

Skullface Bookseller Honda-San

Boarding School Juliet

Run with the Wind

Tokyo Ghoul re S2

[Recently, I did get to complete both seasons of Steins;Gate, so that was a good experience]

I am not counting Tokyo Ghoul as official pick, because its a continuing series from two seasons ago. 
I am also going to notify that I started watching RWBY Vol. 6, and it is lit. Definitely go watch it if you have not. First 5 Volumes are on YouTube, so you have no excuse. Now if I consider RWBY to be an anime, is another discussion.

Lets start with two clear winners, because the third pick was a hard one. I will talk about it when I get to it.
1.       Run with the Wind.
Run with the Wind was the show I was putting off so that I could marathon it later as a whole. I had recently completed my marathon of ‘Haikyu’, and I was in no mood to go back into a sports anime. Well, that failed horribly. The cast that populates this show is by god’s grace, not in a highschool. They are a group of people who have either started their college life, or some whose college life is coming to an end. One fourth year student drops the bombshell on the residents of Chikusei-So that they have been living in track and fields club room/ quarters. Thus, begins their goal to run into a relay marathon.

It’s a feel-good sports show which highlights the best moments one can have in a hostel. Its not overloaded with mind-fucks and strong storytelling. But you will stick around for the characters.
Now, getting to the ED, lemme tell you boi, this is a beautiful ED. It follows the main character Kageyama running through the town as his daily practice. But he runs through the whole day. From morning to morning. And no, the character’s name isn’t Kageyama, but Kakeru. I just pointed that out because they look friggin identical.

However, Kakeru starts his jog at dawn while it rains. He runs along the train lines while passing some bushes while the sun shines overhead. Next scene is the beautiful scene where he is standing limped, while the crowd (Which is NOT CGI) keeps on moving around him. The warm sunlight shows the clear skies, but the next scene is of Kakeru walking in the snow-covered track. He lays in the snow for some time and rebuilds his confidence to run towards the bright light. At the end, he reaches the Chikusei-So, where Nira waits for his arrival eagerly.

Now I can break down more of it according to the metaphors, but that is not my job. What is my job is to highlight that this ED is very kinetic. Its ever moving, and not another tracking shot of character and . You can see the pain animators took to make it a highlight. And they paired with a soft R&B-Rap track. If you know anything about rap, this doesn’t sound like anything recent. Taichi Mukai’s Reset is tailor made for the visuals it supports. It’s a show full of rowdy and energetic young boys, which makes this song a calming blanket to rest your mind to. So, if I had to give a crown to best ED of this Fall, it goes to Run with the Wind.

VISUALLY: A

MUSICALLY: A

REPEATABILITY: A 


2.       Zombieland Saga

Winter 2K16 had a show called ‘KonoSuba’. It had one of the best Eds ever. If I ever make a top 10 ED list, fully expect it to be on it. But you know who would be close second to it? These pair of Eds belonging to Zombieland Saga and Bunny Girl Saga. Now I am naming 2 Eds in one slop, but I promise, it wont happen many a times.

First lets talk about Zombieland Saga ED. Major props to MAPPA for keeping us in dark for VA of Yamada Tae. I love when companies can take a joke, and make a joke.

Getting to the ED, the visuals are not much to talk about, smply because they are beautiful as heck. If I had to compare them to another painting, I would compare it as a cute kid who is done having his fun and is just napping under the sunlight. That warm fuzzy feeling you get from listening this ED is precious, and I adore it. As a song, I would compare it to a lullaby. You don’t want to understand the words, as long as it hits your eardrums and your heart.

Visually, it doesn’t directly relate to the show except some shots. One where the crew of girls dip their feet in water while ditching their practice is really obvious. You can catch other shots if you have a really keen eye. Maybe some of them relate to events yet to come.

VISUALLY: A-

MUSICALLY: A

REPEATABILITY: B


3.       WILDCARD: ACTUALLY, I AM…

Let’s put another R&B- Hip Hop song on it shall we?

Actually, I am… is yet another Harem show. But, it’s a harem show done right. Sure, it does have its share of tropes, but all of them are endearing in their own way. And this ED plays with it.
The dunce of the group, their neighbourhood Vampire Shiragami is lazing around in the empty classroom. Possibly hungry, the expressions on her face suggest she is waiting for Asahi to show up. The soft bass thumps and we see Shiragami sitting alone on the parking bench. One thing I noticed in the ED is the focus on the character’s feet. Shiragami has her feet playfully turned in an awkward position, which she probably would do if she was lost in thought. Other female characters who show up in the ED have no shoes on. All the female readers will agree that feet are one of the important parts you can play around when you are ‘getting jiggy’. Which can explain the undertone of sexuality Asahi feels towards other girls.

Nagisa chills on the bed, reading manga. Mikan is lost in thought. She is probably sitting in the same classroom Shiragami was. Shiho poses sexually over the table, while the song proceeds to show us the back of Shiragami. When she turns, she expects Asahi, but she finds other girls. They play around and eat food and whatnot, but the shoes are back on. I know they aren’t in static poses and they need shoes to move around, but let me rest my case.

Asahi’s friends note that he might have fallen in love with Shiragami. That way, it is not just a crush. All the affection he feels for her is totally respectful (implied). Thus, when he sees anybody else after following in love, he sees them as someone who he cant fall in love with, thus, all the factors of sexuality are covered up.

As for the ED itself, the visual metaphor was amazing. The song pairs up like Peanut Butter and Jam. And I will continue to Jam this song till the end of eternity.

VISUALLY: B+

MUSICALLY: A-

REPEATABILITY: A

And thats it for my Fall 2K18 ED Trinity. Please let me know if you like it or not by tweeting @rishabh_SSW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b