Skip to main content

My Issue with Haikyuu and My Hero Academia's Characters: Anime Essay


All right kids grab your pitchforks and sit in your seats. What I am going to discuss is a trigger word called ‘Opinion’, and even worse, it is ‘Opposing Opinion’. But since this is my discussion piece, I would like you to be patient and let me make my case.

Right off the bat, I like Haikyu and I love My Hero Academia. I love Haikyu’s success in luring a non-sportsperson like me to seek more of it. My Hero Academia has always been in news, raking in positive response from the anime community. And these are the reasons which let me take a closer look at its characters.

Both shows have three seasons each, with interesting individuals and impressive teams. Both have equally interesting rivalry dynamic. Every character bounces off the screen beautifully in their respective shows. They have screen presence, and they leave impact whenever its needed.

But that is all.

All this impressive feat end when we start digging in the characters a little more deeply. Haikyu’s characters are single dimensional. My Hero Academia is better, but it has two-dimensional characters at best. Let’s look at them together first and then discuss where they differentiate.

 HAIKYU! & MHA, THE SIMILARITIES

Both shows have teams. Haikyu focuses on Volleyball, so having a team is a no-brainer. Show focuses on the need of a cohesive team or failure is inevitable. We see the characters’ journey from a rag-tag group of Volleyball players to a force to be reckoned with. The journey is rather impressive, and we are given terminology to analyze the tricks and cheats going on in a game. I personally know everything the show taught me about Volleyball because of how the show decided to represent the game to us.

HeroAca doesn’t focus on teams that much. But the importance of a team is well taught to every student. The first activity we see in the show is a team event [Ignoring Aizawa’s ‘personal attribute activity’, because as fun as it was, All Might’s activity was more impressive]. All of this play comes back again and again, where situations get dire and an impromptu team makes itself and characters have to fight their way out of it. Be it the tournament arc’s game 2, or rescuing Bakugo from League of villains.

Then comes the individual development, which is handled spectacularly by both shows. The most important part is that there HAS to be a visible change taking place, not like KanEdgy of Tokyo Ghoul.

Hinata’s desire to see the ball rather than charging in blind [literally] to Kageyama’s ‘Drop receive’. There is little difference visually [at least it was to me], but they made me believe, and thus, I believed. My favourite individual change arc was that of Tsukishima in Season 3. Paired with changes in Yamaguchi’s receive, Kei’s transformation was visible to my naked eye, so I was even more impressed with the show.

I actually have not many things to say about MHA, as it has one of the best character developments. Second episode of the first season reveals the end goal of the manga, where Deku would be the best hero. It doesn’t matter how he reaches there, we are here for the journey. And doing that is bold. Then there are background reveal of Todoroki and Kota. Reasons behind Uraraka and Iida's actions, inspirations held by Kirishima and Spinner. To top it all off, Bakugo’s thought process and his 
 reasoning regarding All Might losing his power, but I will come back to this.

And that ends all the similarities. Lets start punching holes in the shows shall we?

HAIKYU & MHA, FALLING FLAT

HAIKYU
Let’s take Haikyu first. I already said first that all the characters are single dimensional. And still, Haikyu is liked by almost everyone. Hell, the only sports anime I had watched before Haikyu was Yuri on Ice, and that was a massive failure of appeal. Personally, that was my first anime which had same-sex relation [not considering hentai], and I really enjoyed that aspect of the show. BACK TO HAIKYU…

All the characters have one boner in their mind, and that is Volleyball [Maybe not Tanaka and Nishinoya and Tora]. And that makes sense right? It’s a sports amine, focusing on the sport.

WRONG! Because of this trait, characters get almost no depth. Everyone is framed around how they would play the sport, not even hinting on any other aspect. Coming back to Tsukishima, his family situation was the one which eventually pushed him towards betterment. That context helped adding some depth to him.

What I know about everyone after watching three seasons is that everyone has reasons to play Volleyball, and that is it. You know barely anything of their lives off the court. We don’t even need to focus on numerous characters at all. Focusing on the interesting side characters would have been one solution. Put Oikawa in the spotlight. Give Nishinoya and Tanaka sibilings an OVA. I can use a beach episode where Shiratorizawa and Karasuno play beach Volleyball. As a straight male, I would prefer sweat highlighted on their abs and biceps. 

It caught me with the interesting play and technique, not interesting characters. Their bare personality and what they can bring to the table helps us give them a definition and nothing more.

Some may say it is not required, and I agree. Because mangaka decided not to give characters a personality off court let him be focused on the game. As much humor is derived from gameplay and player conflict, equal laughs are provided by the slice of life parts of the show. That proves that a one off chapter or episode would have been a breather.

MHA

MHA’s characters are better, but not too far off. At best, all of them are two-dimensional characters. There are two aspects on the mental spectrum of most of the characters. If you are not a hero, you are a villain. This is the message I got from watching 50+ episodes. I know there is a ‘VIGILANTE’ manga, but I am not focused on it. At best, I am playing the ‘Anime Only’ card with these shows. 

However, I have read MHA manga until the hero ‘HAWKS’ enters. I do not remember the chapter number, but this 2D characters thing does not change in manga either.

There is only one character which walk the line of grey between this black and white society, and that is Stain. He is the character who believes in hero ideals but plays them by inverting them. That is as grey one gets. It opens the door for his possible comeback and a well-deserved focus on his background.

Coming back to the major characters, you want to know their backgrounds because it would be fun, and not out of curiosity. You would not know about Todoroki if show didn’t conveniently set up his dialogue at the beginning of season 2. That was necessary, but there was no hint of anything in season one. You may call it the entry of a fark horse, I call it conveniently but forcefully shoeing it in. that little challenge to Deku came out of nowehere and forced the viewer to pay attention. What I would have liked more would have been no dialogue and a straight leap into the hurdle race. He was badass from the get-go which guaranteed eyes would be stuck to him. Why was the dialogue in the beginning in the show if Todoroki was going to confront Deku after the second game anyway?
Sorry, I didn’t mean to go off and discuss the whole scene, but all the problem is with the characters. Maybe it is shonen, so everything must be spelled out for the audience. I don’t understand. If this is one of the staples of shonen, then take it from me. The anime watchers are smart. If Todoroki glared at Deku in that room, that would have been enough. But no, one must pick a side of good or evil, and the middleman can suck his thumb.

The essay didn’t cover everything, but it has enough point to hammer my point. But you know what breaks my heart? There are equally high caliber shows which are like them and have no such problem. I am going to combine the team aspect from Haikyu, and superhero trait from MHA, and talk a little about the show which does it better in both aspects.

ONE PUNCH MAN

OPM is a smart show. Not a perfect show, but a smart show. It has the desire to throw their character in interesting situations, like MHA, but it doesn’t have a standard. There are no villains. There are only threats. Just like Psycho Pass, anyone can become a source of danger. Again, like MHA, but MHA loves to label its characters as ‘Villains’. Then there are teams, which are not coherent, but are effective. The team of S-class heroes battling against the alien near the end of the show, and Genos being worthless.

Saitama is one of the shallowest character but it works because of the setup. His outlook is the source of comedy, and it much needed. But he HAS personality. He is not the righteous one, but he always wants to do the right thing. The one who HAS a backstory is Genos, which we would like to know, as I do with more of MHA characters and with much more depth.

KING and GAROU are the definition of grey. Just like Stain, King is a grey of extremes. He is a highly ranked and respected hero, but he is a cheat and liar. He prefers saving game progress rather than save lives. Garou on the other hand, is a bad guy, who gets into a fight with Metal Bat. Metal Bat successfully holds him at bay, and then Garou gets his ass beaten by Watchdog Man. He keeps up his douchebaggery but befriends a boy in the process. This connection goes a long way for Garou, and I rather not speak about it for Anime Only readers.

THE PROBLEM WITH STANDARD CHARACTERS
A lot of anime work if they have a standard of a character to behold. You find this in crappy isekai shows like ‘In another world with smartphone’ and ‘How not to summon a demon lord’, both of which I have nothing nice to say about. Then there are characters like Subaru from Re:Zero, who I am completely interested in and would love to know more about.
I guess the problem comes down to the black and white characters. Do not pick a standard and run with it if the premise sucks too. This is the problem with harem anime like Highschool DXD (Which I love btw!) and Nisekoi (an ultimate waste of my time).

I also have nothing good to say about imouto anime, because they are nothing more than clichefest for me. I lost interest in Eromanga Sensei, I dropped OniAi after second episode, and I was able to bear Yosuga no sora because there were more interesting characters, WHICH DID HAVE 
INTERESTING PERSONALITIES.

In the end I can say, you may flame my opinion and feed it to the dogs, but you can not neglect what I have said. The best 3D character anime I have ever watched is BACCANO, and that is a very high wall to climb. I am filled with curiosity when Ladd is on screen. I am filled with dread when Veno is gracing us with his presence. I want to know more about Czeslaw and Lua and Luck. Finally I want to know how Miria and Isaac spent 70 years and failed to notice that they have not gotten old!
That is some good writing, and I hope more anime can pop up in coming time.

Follow me on Twitter @rishabh_SSW and let me know that I have shit opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b