Skip to main content

Bunny Girl Senpai: An ED War: Anime Essay


Bunny Girl Senpai: the ED wars

In the fall 2k18 season, the rain of ending songs in anime has been beautiful. Run with the Wind is the best ED for the season, and Zombieland Saga’s “Hikari E” is a treat for the eyes. I have talked about this earlier in my anime essay, but I noticeably excluded this ED, “Fukushagi no Carte” from that lineup. Its just for a simple reason: it is in its own plane.

The single version of the song (Available on YouTube) is sung by six voice actresses. The voices of Asami Seto, Nao Touyama, Atsumi Tanezaki, Maaya Uchida, Yurika Kubo and Inori Minase feels like silk running against your eardrums. Its not on Zombieland Saga’s ED level, but that comes down to preference. However, for the ED, I salute the Vas because having that level of talent and making all of them stand out is a masterstroke of awesome.

But you know what I love more than this triple duet? The track sung by individual VAs. Aside from Inori Minase’s character Shoko, every other girl has provided her own voice for their character arc. Starting from Mai and leading to Kaede, each of them have overlaps in visuals, but differences are easy to spot. Its like having five videos of same song sung by different singer. How can you hate on that fact when each one of the ladies bring their A-game?

And as much as I love all of them, there is still one question: which one is the best? All of these will relate to you in different manner because I am not you and you are not me. And you know what, I wont even question your choice because this show has so many best girls that its hard to talk smack about any one of them. So, lets start from my least favorite to the most favorite with my opinions as reasons.

FUKUSHAGI NO CARTE [FNC] BY KAEDE AZUSAGAWA [VA: YURIKA KUBO]

SINGING: Kaede is the best younger sister character I have seen ever in an anime show/ movie. I can imagine having a sister like that. She is attracted to her brother, that’s understandable. But that vulnerability pours into her singing, and it feels more like a fluff of fakeness than anything. I know that’s how it was supposed to be, but at the end of the day, she is a fictional character, and I don’t have a younger sister with cellphobia.

As a result, her voice sounds muddy or blocked. It sounds like her voice is bouncing off a cotton candy. That is the level of moe where it starts choking. Her voice remains monotonous until the end, and thus the ending delivery also falls short on making any impact.

VISUALS: Visually, it was a strong statement to dress her in her school uniform. I like how she has her bag clutched, reflecting her shy personality. Ovehead shot shows her mellow expressions. Sakuta this time is standing in front of her, and returns a smile to her before walking with her by the seashore.

FINAL: I don’t think I’ll listen to it more than two more times it plays in the coming episodes. I also don’t think this is going to grow on me.

[FNC] BY NODOKA TOYOHAMA [VA: MAAYA UCHIDA]

SINGING: Sharp is the word I’ll use for how this track starts. It tries to be dominant but comes off as obnoxious. With the soft vocals, it doesn’t compliment much to the lyrics, whatever they are. Piano starts playing, and her voice starts meddling with it, like she is trying to overpower the instrument.
The major problem is that I can sense fake emotions in the voice, which pulls me out of the experience even faster. Listening to this song for two episodes was enough for me.

VISUALS: Visually, this is one of my favourites. I love how the theme of sunset metaphors her whole arc. She also has her hands swinging by her side, showing her freedom as an individual. Mai and Tomoe had her hands in their hands in the back, while Futaba had her hands in her lab coat. This is the power of show-don’t-tell because this gesture stands out as one of the better examples in the body language study. She’s not just walking, she’s marching towards her target.

I love how camera focuses on her chest, her foot and her ponytail. All of this reflects her strong façade she puts on to survive in the idol market. Overhead shot shows her determined face, marching towards her target, which is revealed to Mai. She smiles at her, and this could mean couple of things. Maybe because she accepts her now or maybe she strives to be her. Great Visual Story.

FINALLY: Her arc was more useless than anything. It added nice flavour to the story, but I wouldn’t mind skipping it the next time I dive into rewatching it. The biggest problem is that it sounds like a kid trying to imitate an adult, which is ironic in a way. The keyword for this ED is ‘EXTRA’. Its an extra song to listen to. NO THANKS!

[FNC] by TOMOE KOGA [VA: Nao Touyama]

Her arc was the one which gave me a feint. I watched episode 5 and I thought her arc was done. I didn’t like the ending, but I accepted it. For so long I didn’t watch episode 6, just because I wanted to watch Futaba’s arc to the completion. And when I watched it, I kicked myself in the face because it was equally satisfying as episode 3.

SINGING: Now the song that concluded the arc was also a nice affair. Playful is the word I want to use. Her vocals bounce around on the instrumental. Her energy stands out as the enjoyable factor in the song. Her vocals lack any kind of intimidation, so it has more emotions to express. Her voice is so enjoyable that her walk by the seaside looks almost too slow to compliment the vocals.
It’s a treat for the ears and just makes you want to get the nearest young girl and help her out with her puberty syndrome. Its like listening to an adorable child talk about her passions. Just all-around fun track.

VISUALS: I guess the show was still finding its footing, because I can’t pick up more than simple meanings. I would expect this kind of simplicity from Mai’s ED (I’ll come back to it). What stands out at the most is her overhead shot, where her expressions are mellow, but when she sees Sakuta in front of her, she smiles like a happy-go-lucky child. If somebody has more to say, please let me know on twitter @rishabh_SSW.

FINAL: This is a keeper. I’ll listen to it more and more. Maybe it’ll become my go-to ED from this show, We’ll see.

[FNC] by RIO FUTABA [VA: ATSUMI TANEZAKI]

I like me some girls in glasses. Someone as snarky and adorable (and HAWT) like Rio climbed up my waifu chart sooner than Mai. Her conversation with Sakuta felt like a real thing, her character design was attractive, and she was a great help to the protagonist in the first two arcs.

The major characteristic of her ED is the monotone. Her singing doesn’t attract with the words, but with her style of singing. It’s a perfect song to listen in the night right before you fall asleep. Her voice is smooth and warms up your heart just the right amount. With her arc focusing of self-conflict, the ED itself is a breath of fresh air after the bumpy ride.

The biggest strength is that it genuinely sounds like your friend telling you about her problems in the middle of the night. Like Nodoka, who tried to overpower the instruments, Rio’s vocals lay under them. She sounds a little mellow, a little sad, and has potentially cried before calling you. How the singer pulled this voice out is astounding.

VISUALS: Visually, it is as strong as the ED of Nodoka. Only difference is that it is backed up by a better vocal track. She walks by the seaside with her hair open and her hands in her lab coat. When she sheds it, she wraps her hair in a pony tail and keeps on walking. The expressive side of Rio doesn’t wear glasses, but in the ED, she adjusts them, driving the point home that it is the one and only Rio.

The overhead shot shows Rio with a blank face. I guess this can be her after her confession and self-rejection. Seconds later, we see her friends waiting for her as she smiles at them. This means that her friends already know where she is headed, and she doesn’t need to say anything out loud for them to care about her.

[FNC] by MAI SAKURAJIMA [VA: ASAMI SETO]

Yep, you knew it was coming. Mai’s ED is the best one out of all, and it is not just the song or the visuals. Everything all around is a treat for the eyes and ears alike, cementing her position as best girl of the show.

SINGING: this kind of polish in vocals is what I had expected from a character who was a professional actress. The vocals are crisp. They aren’t cutting through, but they make you feel the authority it has. The start is strong, it carries over during the track, and the ending of song And the way she says “uyamuya sayonara karui memai” is has such a pop feel, I could have fallen head over heals in that moment alone. Not just emotion, there is a silent charisma in Asami Seto’s voice, which really feels like a significant other is talking to you. You pay attention to it because it demands it, and for that, I too dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.

VISUALS: it is the simplest of the EDs in this department. There is not much in the body language that I could break down. She is an actress. She has her emotions in check. And that’s why the only moment I could think is her true self is when she turns around and adjusts her hair on her side to look at Sakuta standing behind her. Really, if anyone can breakdown more than me, youre more than welcome, because it is more like simple but adequate.

FINAL: For both Rio and Mai’s ED, it’s the same. I can’t get enough of these songs in both visuals and audio department. Thank you Bunny Girl Senpai for blessing the weebs like me with such loving characters and EDs.

Let me know if you agree with my opinion on twitter: @rishabh_SSW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b