Skip to main content

The Redeeming factor of Tokyo Ghoul:re : Anime Essay

I know what I have picked up to tackle is not an easy task. Everybody in the anime community is salty over day 1 when Tokyo Ghoul’s awful season 2 started airing (although it was an enjoyable ride for me). People were saying left and right to read the manga and don’t bother the anime. At that point in my life, I had watched roughly ten series of anime (including anime movies). I had watched Attack on Titan and had followed it up with Kanon ’06. I watched Clannad and it left my heart aching, so I followed it up with Angel Beats (Some pleb I was). But the pumping action of Titan still lingered in my mind. So, like a normie that I was, I searched for any show relating to Titan, where I came across this gem: Tokyo 
I had heard a lot about this series, and that was all positive. So, I gave it a go and I enjoyed it. And then, the fateful episode came along, which threw the common sense out the bloody window. Episode 12 of first season left me confused. I hoped my answers would be provided in the sequel. Spoiler: it wasn’t the case. I was mad about it and started researching while carefully dodging the spoilers. There I came to know that this series was a train wreck, and Peirrot had taken very liberal steps with the series. Now, I had to make up my mind regarding the third season which I knew was airing in 2018.

So, I decided I would watch it. But I won’t keep up with it weekly. I’ll wait for it to conclude and marathon it when it is all over. And so, after waiting for three months and filling my schedule with some My Hero Academia, I sat down on with my laptop to marathon TG:re. Full disclosure, midway through the season, I ordered first five volumes of manga because I knew I was not getting the purest form of entertainment. This stuff was so incomplete, I thought it was a compilation of best scenes in a movie. I watched the last episode and sighed that I got through it.

Result: Nothing was special. The visuals were nothing much to write about. The story was choppy. The music was a step down. But then, I heard that there will be TG:re 2 for Fall 2018. I didn’t have my hopes up for it. I waited for five episodes to come out so that I could marathon that. And oh boy, that was a phenomenal wreck. It was like a toddler was producing this series, because the whole thing crumbled like an undercooked cookie. It fell flat, and I started looking for more volumes to order.
Now that was an (un)interesting preface, right. Let’s get to the meat of the essay.

While I was watching TG:re season 1, there was one episode, which caught my eye. Episode 2: “Fragments: member” was a clear standout episode from all of the Tokyo Ghoul anime. It had nice action, good dialogue which seemed like it was going somewhere, and another bloody Scene which was unique to the anime, courtesy of Studio Clown (Pierrot=Clown, just in case). But don’t get me wrong, the additional scene is the only reason this whole series is worth to watch (or not).

ACTION: Sasaki vs Orochi was a standout action piece. It was faithful to the manga, Sasaki’s internal conflict with Ken was interesting, and Sasaki’s brief spar with Arima also reflected what kind of relation they shared.

DIALOGUE:  Again, emotion in Voice Actors bled into the characters. The conflict between Urie the asshat and Sasaki the Ken was nice, which was followed by Ginshi the Comic Relief to become the new squad leader or captain or boy scout he became. However, the monologuing aspect of Urie the Unbearable started to be annoying from this point on. He was not as intellectual as Hachiman from Oregairu or Araragi from Monogatari franchise, but I am still reading the manga and maybe it would be explained there. BTW, the way Arima refers to Sasaki’s squad as grandkids is creepy.

ANIME EXCLUSIVE SCENE: Now this is my favourite part. Ginshi, the eyepatch ghoul and the real eyepatch ghoul (GET IT!) are talking about best girl ‘Nutcracker’. The soft instrumental starts playing in the background when Sasaki picks up the aroma of tea/ coffee. They reach the coffee shop ‘:re’, where Post-Kaneki encounters second best girl Touka. [Here is where the volume 1 of manga ends]. And here is where the magic happens. A soft English song fills the background, singing about a loving relationship shared by a couple. But in reality, the song is about letting go and moving on. The soft vocals provided by 14 years old [at the time] Tate McRae are magical to listen to when they accompany a scene like this. Kaneki is meeting this girl after roughly two years. He has a vague familiarity with the coffee he sips, and strong visuals like tears rolling down his cheeks reflect that. Touka smiles at Kaneki, when he concludes that the girl is a little at loss or maybe sad. “ITS TIME TO WAKE UP FROM THIS DREAM”- you hear this line in between the dialogue and I bet you will be filled with emotions when you hear it. The camera changes its focus from Touka to crying Kaneki and then focuses on both of them at the same time. Kaneki goes on to praise Touka’s beauty in his own mind, but the last thing we see is the cup of coffee he was drinking.

The production may be shot to hell. The story may be on its crutches and full of jump cuts. The characters may be bland. But I’d be wrong to say that this scene was anything less than perfect. All of the characters are ghouls in this scene, yet the scene is so human, it almost makes me break apart when I watch it. And I only visit this series for this scene.

I watched the whole series chasing one scene like this one. Maybe there is. Maybe there will be another scene creeping on us right now. But, right now, this is one of the best scenes in an anime that I cherish the most.

Let me know how you feel aout

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b