Skip to main content

Japanese Animation Studios which should work together: Anime Essay

If you have not watched Gigguk’s video about Animation Studios, go watch it. Because I personify all these studios in my head exactly as they speak and look. But that is not influencing what I will be talking about.

Today, I would love to ship. To ship the animation studios so that they can make those sweet sweet anime babies. No seriously, if we have learned anything after Darling in the Franxx is that more studios should walk hand in hand just like A1 and Trigger did. Now I am not talking about producing OPs and EDs or doing keyframes and other minor stuff. I am talking about sharing of ideas, staff and suggestions, birthing concepts and executing them. As much as Darling in the Frankxx did go awry in the end, it was a thrilling ride in the end. So, strap on, as I proceed to feed you some of that bitter opinions.

3. Trigger and Wit

Now both studios are new in the game, compared to other major players. Both have hot properties in the market with Kill la Kill and Kiznaiver for Trigger, and Attack on Titan and Kabaneri for Wit. Both are masterful in animation department with their sound being an ace. But not one of them can be called as the Go-To studios. There is a reason because both studios are like eccentric children with lot of energy in them, with not a defined goal for the future, atleast not for now.
As much as I enjoy Trigger shows, I have come to expect that they will not have a satisfying ending. Maybe their grandad Gainax is still influencing them, but they must stop playing in the mud for so long. Wit, on the other hand, is acing with adapting AOT. But their delays are rather annoying and unwanted. Also, Kabaneri didn’t leave the sweetest of tastes.

What to Gain? Trigger is known for original content [Kill la Kill, Inferno Cop, Kiznaiver], whereas Wit is a master of adaptation [AOT, Ancient Magus’ Bride, After the Rain], so both of them working together can result in something very precious for anime community as a whole. I can see them nailing the ‘Anime Original Endings’ with ease if they helm a joint project.

2. Deen and Doga Kobo

Now this is a tricky one because I don’t think these names pop up immediately when talking about animation studios, especially the latter. I think both are decent studios, with their works being talk of the town one way or another. Deen produced the legendary Urusei Yatsura, Ranma ½ and Ruroni Kenshin. It also has big franchises under its belt like Hell Girl, Higurashi and [Hate it or not!] Fate/ Stay Night. But we are talking about recent climate, and Deen does not disappoint on that front too. KonoSuba, Rakugo Shinju, Sakamoto Desu ga and Pupa are fan favorites all over the world. Maybe not Pupa, maybe it is.

Doga Kobo on the other hand is a studio with fewer series under its names, but they’re equally popular. Plastic Memories, TadaKoi and Nozaki kun are some of the series I have personally enjoyed very much. Other popular names like YuruYuri, New Game and Umaru chan (as much as you hate her) are very popular titles which came out of this studio.

What to Gain? We can agree that these studios are not on everybody’s tongues. But one collaboration may change everything. Both studios have expert animation. Deen opts for more mellow and shot down animation style, as it Rakugo, but can really shine when they want it to pop, as in KonoSuba. Doga Kobo has more of a poppy feel all over. I can think of bright colors in Tadakoi and subdued but sharp art of Plastic Memories. In the end, both studios are All Rounders, but their stats lay in the middle. They can do everything, just not up to the par of being stellar. If Deen takes over the background, and Doga Kobo gives the characters and art their attention, a joint project can take a place amongst the fan favourites.

1. Ufotable and Shaft

If I haven’t made clear before, let me state it out loud. THERE IS NO BETTER ANIME STUDIO THAN SHAFT. Their avant-garde style of animation can wet the pants of any art student, and I am always left in awe when I am watching their shows/ movies. Case in point, my favorite show: the Monogatari Series. Other favorites by Shaft are Arakawa under the Bridge, Zetsubou sensei and Madoka Magica. Favorite Movie series: Kizumonogatari, Kara no Kyokai.

Oh Wait, Kara no Kyokai is made by a different, albeit equally awesome, studio.

Yes, ufotable is the old kid in the block which blew up in the 2010s. Props to you if you knew the shows they produced before Kara no Kyokai series.

Ufotable is a spectacle machine when it comes to anime. The movies series I have been ranting about, their Fate adaptations and the Fate movies for Heaven’s feel are literally bleeding money. The only quality to rival it is found in Kyoto Animation, but only in a random scene or so. How ufotable manages to be consistent is beyond me.

What to Gain? Do I even need to explain? Ufotable is animation genius. Shaft has the cheatsheet to make perfect animation. But it goes further. Both studios excel on the musical score front. From clanking swords in Fate to different pitches of voices in Monogatari exposition, these studios together can make wonders happen. On the story front, I can’t speak much about it because it depend on what they are provided with. I haven’t heard any whispers of ufotable’s original work, and Shaft’s older original work is the same. Madoka, however, was a classic.as far as adaptations go, they reign supreme with the likes of KyoAni and Bones.

P.S. Saber doing that head tilt in the upcoming Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia would be sick!
[A guy can dream, right?]



That is It for me. Please let me know how wrong I am on twitter on @rishabh_SSW
And , I will be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manga REVIEW :MachiMaho Volume 1

Y’know, before I started typing for this review, I thought why not write about my favorite anime for Winter 2019, ‘Kaguya Sama: Love is war’. But then it hit me; lets write about another cute highschool girl with a twisted mind. And now we’re here, in a not so nice place.                        MachiMaho: I Messed up and Made the Wrong Person the Magical Girl is a manga, and not a light novel with that title. Its about a rebellious girl who chainsmokes and punches things while having a latent talent to destroy evil. Its not like I’ve seen that trope before. Before I rip this volume to shreds, let me give a brief plot synopsis. An alien, who is also a cute cat, stumbles upon Majiba Kayo while escaping a demon, also known as Atsunmos. To save his life, he trasforms his powers into Kayo, only for her to pop a cigarette into her mouth. The mascot, Myu, realizes he fucked up, but since Kayo is a punching prodigy of Muhammad Ali, she defeats the demon in one punch. Hence, her ni

My Yuri Harem (Vol. 3): Three-In-One [57]

The wind blew with great velocity outside, but not a single blow seemed to affect Gian’s house. Apparently, all houses are tightly insulated in Canada. Which is unsurprising because I used to live in one of these years ago. but it came as a strong surprise to Kyo, who complimented the warmth of the inside as soon as she entered through the front door. After our reunion, Gian turned around and met the company. She immediately recognized Trigman. And he continued to introduce his husband, who was les that enthusiastic with his greeting. Kyo on the other hand was hesitant. When all was said and done, Gian offered us a bed and warm dinner at her place. We all hopped in our car and followed her through the downtown on this small town to a closed alley. There were nine houses and a cul-de-sac. Gian’s was fourth, on the right side of the street. We parked our cars in her driveway and followed her in her dimly lit house. She gave us a change of footwear and guided us t

My Yuri Harem{Vol. 2}: Round 4[49]

The night was still young when we started. It marked the milestone in our lives. The first time I’d be in the bed with toys all around me. Various kinds of lubricants, dildos, getups and instruments. The round bed that I was so familiar with rested such unique and different devices on it. Amaan had made it obvious of her desires when she wouldn’t stop talking about toys and sex at the same time. And I had no choice but to oblige. But the context was not sexual at all. It had shifted drastically. The story of ‘Cornerstone’ was really important to me. I had to know what was going on between those five boys as well as the professor. And thus, I needed some time to research. I got in contact with those five boys later, but they were too terrified to be of any use to me. It was obvious that if I asked Amaan directly, she’d take some action against me. Just her name seemed to terrorize the boys. And she did give that aura sometimes, but I never got that impression from her. It was b